Saturday, April 5, 2014

Crafts and Dolls: Makeshift Closet and Seating Room for an 18" Doll

It's Spring and it's time to get organizing...  After doing my chores I decided to rearrange my doll shelf to accommodate my new girl, Kelsey.  She is one of the Journey Girls of Toys R Us.  Her size is similar with that of American Girl doll which is around 18".  I shopped around to look for an armoire that will fit her and her accessories but I ended up re-planning my existing shelf instead because it will help me save a lot with the cost.
 I have two shelves with 4-tier each giving me 8 compartments to fill.  I dedicated the first two layers of each shelf for my other favorite dolls followed by the third for the makeshift closet and seating room.  Then the bottom shelves are for my son's soft toys in bins.
 Here is the makeshift seating area with JG Kelsey and Lati Green Coco Erin... I decorated the walls with plastic decor butterflies and a photo of the girls from the packaging mounted on a patterned paper.
 The adorable bed was a gift from a friend, she designed it, crocheted and sew the bedding. The side drawer is a small organizer I found in the dollar store where I placed in JG Kelsey's socks, tights and a few hair accessories.  Then I added a tulle in one corner, re-use a souvenir pail as vase and crocheted a granny square rug to finish the look.  It's a seating room for Kelsey but it's a bedroom for my other dolls as well. :)
 Now, the makeshift closet.  I'm glad that there are lots of good craft stuff in the dollar store.  I bought small wooden crates, dowel rods and a plaque to make my shelf and clothes rack.  After putting together the pieces with wood glue, I painted each with black acrylic paint to match the color of the bed frame in the seating room. Then finished each with a gloss acrylic sealer.  The backdrop is a handkerchief I folded and tack with wall mounted hooks and ribbon which gives me freedom to change it anytime I like.  I also crocheted a granny square rug to finish the look.
 On one side, I decorated the wall with photos from the packaging and added wall mounted hooks for the hats.
 On the opposite side, I attached more wall mounted hooks to hang bags which adds to the decor of the closet.
 I love keeping cute jewelry boxes.  I'm glad I was able to display and re-use each to store more accessories.
A closer look of the shelves out of painted wooden crates.

I may have gone through a lot of work just to put this together but surely, it's fun...  Now, I'm looking forward to make more craft projects for JG Kelsey!  Thank you for reading and have a great week ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment