Saturday, April 12, 2014

Crafts and Dolls: Handmade Learning Accessories for an 18" Doll

Last weekend, I have introduced Kelsey in my makeshift closet and seating room.  This weekend I decided to make learning accessories for her.  I find it good to do so because of the doll's scale which is bigger and easier to work with.
I made her folders, a portfolio envelope, a binder, ruler, pencils, pencil box and a backpack out of recycled phone pouch.
Here was my old phone pouch which I've kept because I really like the print and it might be of good use for something...  good thing it does have a new purpose...
I proportioned it with the doll and showed that its size is perfect for the doll.  I altered it into a backpack with the use of cardstock, decorative duct tape, ribbons and sewing tools.
Next is the portfolio envelope.  I referred to my actual portfolio envelope to make a miniature of it for my doll.  I used cardstocks, fabrics, ribbons, adhesives, printable school papers from the net shared by 18" doll enthusiasts and sewing tools.
Then, I found a tutorial on school binders by My Froggy Stuff to make my own for my doll.  I have to tweak it a little bit with the materials I have in my stash - I used cardstock, fabrics, ribbons, adhesives, sewing tools and printable sheets from My Froggy Stuff for the said project.
The pencil box is made from recycled popsicle box, acrylic paint, decorative duct tape and washi tape.  I made the pencils from barbecue sticks - dipped the pointed end in black acrylic paint, dipped the flat end in a light blue acrylic paint, then I covered the shaft with washi tape and glide glitter glue in between the flat end and the shaft.  The ruler is part of the printable sheets in My Froggy Stuff's school binder tutorial.  The eraser is courtesy of my little boy which he shared from his supplies :)
Finally, I made folders using a tutorial from www.dolldiaries.com.  I just tweaked the flap with a curved edge instead but the idea is the same.
So here is Kelsey with her handmade learning accessories.
Thank you for reading and happy weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment